AIM: To report our experience of gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs) during the last 29 years. METHODS: Thirty two cases of GIST referred to our Institution from the 1st January 1981 to the 10th June 2010 were reviewed. Metastases, recurrence and survival data were collected in relation to age, history, clinical presentation, location, size, resection margins and cellular features. RESULTS: Mean age was 63.7 years (range, 40-90) and incidence was slightly higher in males (56%). R0 resection was performed in 90.7% of cases, R1 in 6.2% (2 cases) and R2 in 3.1% (one case). Using Fletcher's classification 8/32 (25%) had high risk, 9/32 (28%) intermediate and 15/32 (47%) low risk tumors. Follow-up varied from 1 mo to 29 years, with a median of 8 years; overall survival was 75% (24/32), disease-free survival was 72% and tumor-related mortality was 9.3%. Three patients with high risk GIST were treated with imatinib mesylate: one developed a recurrence after 36 mo, and 2 are free from disease at 41 mo. CONCLUSION: Surgical treatment remains the gold standard therapy for resectable GISTs. Pathological and biological features of the neoplasm represent the most important factors predicting the prognosis.
|Titolo:||Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: thirty years experience of an institution.|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2011|
|Digital Object Identifier (DOI):||10.3748/wjg.v17.i14.1836.|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|
File in questo prodotto: